Monday, December 18, 2006

10 pesos equal 1 USD

I was going to write this in spanish. But there´s this damn timer on the top of the screen that is ticking away and the numbers next to the $ sign keep getting larger.

So. Mexico. Holy cows.

The thing about Mexico City is that you can get ANYTHING for 10 pesos. Anything. Anything at all. 10 pesos here. 10 pesos there. For example, this internet that I´m using is... drum roll... 10 pesos per hour! All street food, juice, etc. Anything you buy on the street (and mind you, the vast majority of people in this city, it seems, make their income by selling things on the streets) is 10 pesos. The markets here are deep. Long. Ongoing. Neverending. Tight. Loud. Chaotic. Messy. Fun. Everything. I´d like to empasize the neverending part. This is the 3rd largest city in the world. it´s huge. you must believe me. Also, the keyboards are different, I can´t astricks and at signs are extremely hard to find.

I arrived on friday. I napped.I really don´t remember much of that day.

On saturday, after a good nights sleep, we explored the surrounding areas of the Zocalo. I happen to be staying in a hostelright next to the largest cathedral and plaza in latin (y/o central)america. We went to an area called Coacan (spelling?). But Frida Kahlo lived, and died, there. And we saw her house, and her works. We wander alot. There´s alot to this city.

Yesterday we went to tepoztlan, a small town an hour outside the city, and climbed a mountain (it felt like) to see some amazing aztec ruins and an incredible view of thevalley. We bought some vegetables and drank alot of fresh juice.

Today was a light day. We went to the northern end of the city for the first time and visted this amusment park sized religious holy land dedicated to La Virgen Guadalupe. There were like 8 temples dedicated to her. and hundreds and hundreds of people there worshipping.

Veganism is impossible here. But it´s a fight worth fighting. We cook our own dinner in the hostel every night. Eat some street shit (potato chips, french fries, etc). Been eating alottttt of tortillas with black beans. Drink alot of bottled water. Emergen'C. Echenacea. Airbourne. All the good stuff.

It´s impossible to sum up my experience in mexico city. Completely impossible. I´m always experiencing new things that I want to write about but never have time at that moment, and then I forget.

The metro system here is incredible. 2 pesos per ride (thats .20$ USD. NYC is 2 bucks a pop). That combined with the light rail, and bus systems... you can get anywhere.

I´ve met alot of strange people. Many travelers. Locals. Europeans. Americans. Latin Americans.

The pollution here is terrible. I sometimes worry about my own health. The horizons on a clear day are just dark brown. Hazy. You can see it in the air in front of you.

Anyway, my brain hurts.

pazeamor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home